PE and Sports Premium
Our allocation of funding for 2017/18 is £17,500. Based on the continued positive impact of coaching, provided by Life Leisure, during the previous two academic years, the decision was made to continue with this resource in the current academic year. Our other key objectives are to develop better systems for planning and assessment and improving the school’s grounds to provide better opportunities which impact on pupil progress.
How funding has been used and its impact
- The majority of the funding has been used for our subscription to the Stockport School Sport Partnership (£600) and 2 days of extra coaching throughout the whole academic year (£6,300). The school sport partnership provide subject specialist advice to enhance the quality of teaching and learning in Physical Education. It also provides ongoing professional development and training for staff and access to a wide range of SSSP competitions for pupils.
- Impact: As well as providing professional development opportunities for teachers, the use of the same coach across the school allows continuity and progression of skills throughout the school.
- The coaching takes place over 2 full days in all classes from Reception to Year 6. It also provides pupils with access to lunchtime sports clubs and afterschool clubs in football, netball and dance. During lunchtimes, the coach has also been used to train Y6 playleaders and run an intra-school netball competition for the juniors.
- Impact: Children have had access to a wider range of clubs both at lunchtime and after school. The introduction of a free dance club after school has broadened the number of pupils participating in PE beyond the school day. The intra-school netball competition has allowed more children to experience competitive, sporting activity and develop their skills of teamwork and respect.
- I-pads (£2,582) and subscription to PE Passport (£500) has allowed us to develop our planning and assessment strategies; it has also provided us with a valuable tool for evidencing and monitoring progress.
- Impact: The use of PE Passport builds teacher understanding of progression in skills in PE enabling them to plan for more informed opportunities to support pupil outcome in PE as it provides evidence of pupils’ progress across individual lessons and throughout a longer block of lessons. The app allows teachers to assess pupil progress and ability; provide timely feedback to pupils; and to gather evidence to share with parents and peers. It also enable pupils to better understand their own learning and development through visual feedback.
- Subscription to the South Area Sports Association and Schools’ Cross Country leagues are an important use of our Sport Premium, together with competition medals (£352 in total).
- Impact: Entry into these competitions has provided an ever increasing number of pupils to participate in competitive sport and taught them important values of teamwork and working hard in order to improve.
- As part of our enrichment curriculum, we have introduced yoga in foundation stage and KS1 (£920) to help improve our children’s physical development.
- Impact: The yoga has helped developed the children’s core strength and control over their movements. These are key factors in allowing young children to develop the basic skills that can be applied to all sporting activities.
We intend to use the remainder of our Sports Premium (£9,115) to develop the school’s grounds by installing an AstroTurf surface in the large pen. This will provide a safer area for children to practise and develop skills throughout the year to ensure consistent continuity teaching of skills all year round.
The pupils were also asked to make comments on any aspect of PE in school and this is what they said:-
- “I’ve enjoyed doing football because it’s fun”
- “I think the sports clubs are a great idea because some people can´t do sports outside school”
- “I think the coaches really have helped me to improve.”
- “I have really enjoyed doing dance on a Monday because it makes me want to do dance out of school”
- “I think sports in school are really fun.”
- “I really enjoyed representing the school in netball and the Woodbank races. I hope that year 5 and 6 can do netball again.”
- “The coaching is amazing. The sports choice is amazing. I love it all!”
- “I’ve really enjoyed being in lacrosse tournaments and playing for my team, can´t wait to do lacrosse.”
- “The coaches make the learning part of sport fun.”
- “I feel like cross-country has helped with my stamina.”
- “Having a coach is really helpful because I learn new sports.”
- “I have totally enjoyed the coaching in PE games and I really enjoyed representing the school in cross-country.”