What is our intention for History at High Lane Primary School?
The History curriculum at High Lane is about instilling a sense of curiosity and understanding of events, places and people in different periods of time and environments. We aim to provide a range of activities that stimulate children's curiosity and nurture their enjoyment of history, In this way, we enable children to develop an understanding of historical concepts, human achievements and aspirations. By exploring the past, we hope to help our pupils shape the future. We ensure children at every level are challenged and supported to reach their full potential.
Our History curriculum aims to provide children with the opportunity to:
- Know how people's lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- Develop an interest in the past and an appreciation of human achievements and aspirations
- Develop a knowledge of chronology within which the children can organise their understanding of the past
- Understand how the past was different from the present that that people of other times and places may have had different values and attitudes from ours
- Understand the nature of evidence by emphasising the process of enquiry and by developing the range of skills required to interpret primary and secondary source materials
- Distinguish between historical facts and the interpretations of those faces
- Question how learning about the past can improve our future