What is our intention for Geography at High Lane Primary School?
The Geography curriculum at High Lane is about instilling a sense of curiosity and understanding of the natural and human world. We aim to provide a range of activities that stimulate children’s curiosity and nurture their enjoyment of geography. We enable children to develop an understanding of geographical concepts and knowledge of places and environments and provoke them to ask and answers questions about our world. We teach our pupils to become Global Citizens through helping them to understand and solve problems facing the environment and the future state of the planet.
Our Geography curriculum aims to provide children with the opportunity to:
- develop contextual knowledge of the location of globally significant places – both terrestrial and marine
- develop and extend knowledge and understanding of people and places and the relationship between the two
- study physical, human and environmental themes in a widening context
- collect, analyse and communicate with a range of data gathered through experiences of fieldwork
- develop an understanding of maps, and a range of problem solving and investigative skills both inside and outside the classroom.
- interpret a range of sources of geographical information;
- communicate geographical information in a variety of ways.