What is our intention for Maths at High Lane Primary School?
The Maths curriculum at High Lane is about encouraging our pupils to be curious about mathematics, make connections between concepts and reason mathematically. We recognise that our children’s chances of success are maximised greatly if they develop deep and lasting understanding of mathematical procedures and concepts. We nurture analytical minds and confident communicators to tackle a range of practical tasks and real-life problems. We therefore believe it is important to ensure mathematics is an inclusive subject where all children have the opportunity to thrive.
Our Maths curriculum aims to provide children with the opportunity to:
- Our Maths curriculum aims to provide children with the opportunity to:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and fluent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- Solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions
- Develop key skills to enable them to thrive in life: resilience, problem-solving, evaluation and communication amongst others.